The Library is named for Magnus Wahlstrom, who was born in 1903 in Surahammar, Sweden. Mr. Wahlstrom was a founder of Bridgeport Machines, Inc. and served as a University trustee.
The University Library had its beginning in 1927 in one room in Fairfield Hall, site of the newly-chartered Junior College of Connecticut. In 1947, when the Junior College was reconstituted as the University of Bridgeport, the Library was moved to the University’s seaside campus. In 1955, after a period at Fones Hall, the library at last occupied a home of its own in the newly-constructed Carlson Library. A new east wing was added in 1961. In 1972 groundbreaking took place for a new building and in 1974 staff and collections moved into the new Magnus Wahlstrom Library.
Home of myΣureka! Federated Search
In 2007, the Wahlstrom Library was one of the first 5 libraries in the world to go live with the Ex Libris Primo® discovery solution (the Library’s myΣureka! searching interface). A case study discussing the effect of myΣureka! on Information Literacy by Ex Libris, as well as the November 2007 edition of the Ex Librian provides more information on Wahlstrom Library’s integration of this new product.