Fones School of Dental Hygiene to co-host Centennial Celebration of Dental Hygiene May 30-June 2
The Fones School of Dental Hygiene at the University of Bridgeport (UB) and Connecticut Dental Hygienists’ Association, Inc. are proud to co-host the Celebration of the Century, a three-day extravaganza in honor of the dental hygiene profession’s centennial anniversary.
A kick-off event is scheduled for Thursday, May 30, with a party, music, and cocktails at the Bijou Theater, 275 Fairfield Avenue. All proceeds support the dental hygiene, acupuncture, naturopathic, chiropractic, and integrative clinics at UB, which collectively provide low-cost care to 14,335 patients a year.
Established at the University in 1949, Fones School was the first school of dental hygiene in the world. It is named after Dr. Alfred Civilion Fones, the Bridgeport dentist who in 1913 opened his School for Dental Hygiene and trained the first dental hygienist in the world, Irene Newman.
The celebration continues with various events including:
- A historical tour and Mouth-Power exhibit from the National Museum of Dentistry
- Dedication of a new memorial to Irene Newman
- Professional development and Continuing Education course: “Where will we go in the next 100 years?”
- Red-Shoe event and gala at the Bridgeport Holiday Inn on June 1
- American Dental Hygienists’ Associations District Meeting for Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania
For more information, or to register online, please go to www.cdha-rdh.com and click the “Centennial” link. Tickets to attend only the Bijou event or for questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.