GRADUATE ADMISSIONS COUNSELOR
Coordinate phone calls, emails and general inquiry management for prospective online students. Coordinate interactions and interviews with faculty, deans, and current students.
Assist with planning special online recruitment events, such as Information Sessions.
Provide assistance to inquiries, applicants, accepted and deposited students with the goal of requiting qualified students and increasing enrollment until maximum capacity is reached.
Track and record communications with prospective students by phone, email, and direct mail to address requests for information, guidance on application completion, and other concerns.
Assist with the oversight of graduate assistants, admissions processors and secretarial staff.
Work with the Deans to incorporate program information into communications and to develop an engaging student recruitment program.
Assist with the preparation and review of the admissions recruitment materials.
Represent the school at career days, college fairs, and other recruiting activities.
Maintain and update applicant files.
Review and evaluate credentials, including application, transcripts, personal statement, test scores and letters of recommendation.
Work with the Director of Graduate Admissions and Program Deans to identify applicants who are eligible for interview.
Prepare files for faculty members to review during interviews and arrange the interview schedule for each applicant.
Prepare appropriate communications based on admissions committee recommendations.
Send online orientation information to accepted students and assist with orientation where required.
Aid in compiling, reviewing, maintaining and organizing data for reporting purposes.
Other duties as assigned.
- MS or Bachelor's degree with relevant experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in admissions.
- Experience with and understanding of social media such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn.
- Ability to analyze data and reports and develop strategic plans based on research.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as the ability to work effectively with Deans, faculty, administrators, and external constituents.
- Ability to multitask with excellent organizational skills.
- Skilled in developing and meeting aggressive timetables for multiple projects.
- Ability to work both independently and on a team.
- Knowledge of electronic desk top publishing and image creating software a plus. Skilled in word processing, spreadsheet and database management.
- Some evening and weekend hours are required.
- Evening and weekend work is required for special events and programming.
- This position requires a valid driver’s license and driving record which complies with University of Bridgeport driving policy and accessibility to transportation for travel between campuses and to off-site locations.
The University of Bridgeport is committed to building a diverse university community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified applicants should send a letter of application and resume to:
University of Bridgeport, Human Resources Office
Graduate Admissions Counselor
126 Park Avenue,
Wahlstrom Library, 7th Floor
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Tel: (203) 576-4588 Fax: (203) 576-4601
It is the policy of the University of Bridgeport to prohibit discrimination in admissions, educational programs and employment, and in the provision of services on the basis of legally protected class characteristics (unless there is a bona fide occupational qualification related to employment), or any other unlawful factor. Protected class characteristics include race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, creed, ancestry, workplace hazards to reproductive systems, sex (gender identity, gender expression, sexual harassment), marital status, civil union status, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, national origin, physical/mental/learning disability, veteran status and any other group protected by civil rights laws.
The University of Bridgeport complies with Clery Act and maintains records of campus crime statistics and security policies. Copies of University of Bridgeport Annual Security and Fire Report reports are available at