Student Financial Services Counselor
Reporting to the Bursar, the Student Financial Services Counselor is responsible for student financial support in the Student Financial Services’ (SFS) Office. Working closely with SFS/Financial Aid to streamline joint procedures, the Student Financial Services Counselor will be responsible for all initial contact with students and their families, including processing of student related payments, answering student financial aid/account questions, and providing guidance as needed.
- Provides comprehensive customer service to all students and their families by phone, in person and through email correspondence
Support student accounts functions including but not limited to:
- Ø Posting adjustments
- Ø Prepare lists for reconciliation of student health insurance and other responsibilities associated with the administration of student health insurance requirements
- Ø Process all student payments received by the University in all forms and delivery methods in a timely manner
- Ø Oversee the processing and correspondence of all financial related paperwork delivered to the office by or on the behalf of students
- Ø Manage the processing and correspondence for corporate reimbursement students
- Ø Perform daily cash reconciliation and bank deposit
- Ø Investigate disputed delinquent account balances; correct any errors, including misapplied payments and miscellaneous charges
- Ø Prepare journal entries for approval of required corrections
- Ø Must stay abreast of current and ever-changing regulations related to student health insurance requirements
- Ø Effectively represent Student Financial Services policies to students with diplomacy and tact Assist with management and communication to students on payment plans including negotiating settlement requests for approval of Director
- Ø Provide oversight of student employees and graduate assistants
- Ø Financially counsels future and current students on the payment and payment plan options offered by the University of Bridgeport.
- Ø Ensures student accounts are kept current with policies and procedures while at the same time building a good rapport through customer service.
All members of the Student Financial Services Office team assist each other with the following functions:
- Maintains confidentiality of information and works in accordance with FERPA guidelines on the disclosure of information
- Counter coverage as needed, assisting student who come into the Center for assistance.
- Assist in the processing of mail
- Assist in the management of department schedule
- Some evening coverage may be required for this position (11:00am to 7:00pm shifts on Wednesdays and Thursdays during the registration periods)
- Occasional weekend hours may be required during semester start-up periods and special events.
- Performs related duties as necessary to support the University of Bridgeport mission
- Bachelor's degree in appropriate area of specialization and previous higher education related experience preferred. A combination of education and directly related experience and training will be considered.
- Sense of teamwork, creativity, and flexibility
- Proficient in working with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Cash handling and balancing experience preferred
- Financial Aid and/or Bursar experience preferred
- Analytical skills with knowledge of student financial aid process for problem resolution
- Confidence in using own initiative and judgment to organize, administer, and communicate (oral and written) to follow through independently on assigned tasks
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills with a complete understanding of confidentiality
- Professional oral and written skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Process information quickly and accurately
- Able to work independently and prioritize multiple tasks in a high-volume environment
The University of Bridgeport offers competitive salaries and benefits package. The University of Bridgeport is committed to building a diverse university community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified applicants should send a letter of application and resume to:
Department of Human Resources,
Student Financial Services Counselor
University of Bridgeport,
126 Park Avenue. Wahlstrom Library 7th Floor
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Fax: 203 576-4601
It is the policy of the University of Bridgeport to prohibit discrimination in admissions, educational programs and employment, and in the provision of services on the basis of legally protected class characteristics (unless there is a bona fide occupational qualification related to employment), or any other unlawful factor. Protected class characteristics include race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, creed, ancestry, workplace hazards to reproductive systems, sex (gender identity, gender expression, sexual harassment), marital status, civil union status, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, national origin, physical/mental/learning disability, veteran status and any other group protected by civil rights laws.
The University of Bridgeport complies with Clery Act and maintains records of campus crime statistics and security policies. Copies of University of Bridgeport Clery Act reports are available at http://www.bridgeport.edu/Media/Website%20Resources/documents/life/CampusSecurityReport.pdf