The University of Bridgeport is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. The University also is accredited by the Connecticut Office of Higher Education.
National accreditations of professional programs have been granted by the following accrediting bodies in the areas noted:
- Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association for associate (A.S.) and baccalaureate (B.S.) degree program in Dental Hygiene.
- Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology baccalaureate (B.S.) degree program in Computer Engineering.
- The Doctor of Chiropractic degree program is awarded programmatic accreditation by The Council on Chiropractic Education.
- All professional and teacher-training programs in Education have received accreditation from the Connecticut State Department of Education.
- The School of Business is accredited by the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- The Master of Science in Acupuncture program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM), which is the recognized accrediting agency for the approval of programs preparing acupuncture and oriental medicine practitioners.
- The College of Naturopathic Medicine is accredited by the Council on Naturopathic Medical Education (CNME), which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- The University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
The University holds membership in the:
- American Council on Education
- Association of Urban Universities
- American Association of University Women
- American Association of Community and Junior Colleges
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- American Dental Education Association
- Association of Evening Colleges, the Connecticut Council of Higher Education
- New England Association of Junior Colleges
- Connecticut Conference of Independent Colleges
- Association of American Colleges
- Council of Graduate Schools
- College Board
- National Council of Equal Opportunity Programs