Buket Barkana, Ph.D.
Buket D. Barkana is a Professor in the Electrical Engineering Department at the University of Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA. She is also the Director of the Signal Processing Research Group (SPRG) Laboratory in the same institution. She received her B.Sc. degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Anatolia University, Eskisehir, Turkey, in 1994, and M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from the ESOGU, Eskisehir, Turkey in 1997 and 2005, respectively. She worked as a full-time faculty member at Anatolia University from 1995-1999 and as a Research Assistant at the ESOGU from 1999-2001 in Turkey. Dr. Barkana joined the University of Bridgeport in January 2007.
She has developed and taught many courses in the Electrical Engineering Program at the University of Bridgeport. She is also teaching online courses in the Department of Electronics and Information Engineering at Wuhan University of Science and Technology, China, since 2019.
Dr. Barkana’s research interests lie in speech/audio/image processing and applications. She is passionate about designing computer-aided detection and recognition systems for breast cancer using mammography and other biomedical fields. She advocates providing opportunities to improve STEM education for underrepresented and underserved students at all levels.
Dr. Barkana has published more than one hundred research papers in journals and conferences. She has served on the organizing and technical committees at many national/international conferences. She is a member of IEEE and Sigma Xi. She is also an associate editor of Computational Intelligence, An International Journal-Wiley.
Ph.D., Electrical and Electronics Engineering, ESOGU, Eskisehir, Turkey, 2005
M.Sc., Electrical and Electronics Engineering, ESOGU, Eskisehir, Turkey, 1997
B.S., Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Anatolia University, Eskisehir, Turkey, 1994
ELEG 233 Network Analysis 1
ELEG 234 Network Analysis 2
ELEG 342 Modern Communication Systems
ELEG 317 Controls
ELEG 348 Electronics
ELEG 333 Signals and Systems
ELEG 349AB Senior Design Project
ELEG 209 Engineering Analysis
ELEG/BMEG 443 Digital Signal Processing
ELEG 459/BMEG459 Audio Signal Processing Lab
ELEG 442 Digital Communications
ELEG/BMEG 543 Digital Signal Processing Lab
ELEG/BMEG/CPEG 513 Biomedical Image Processing
ELEG 450 Communications Lab
EDMM-600D-BR1 STEM for Teacher Educators
- B.D. Barkana, Y. Ozkan, I.A. Badara, Analysis of Working Memory from EEG Signals under Different Emotional States, Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, Volume 71, Part B, January 2022, 103249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bspc.2021.103249
- B.D. Barkana, Aarchi Patel*. Analysis of vowel production in Mandarin/Hindi/American- accented English for accent recognition systems, Applied Acoustics, May 2020, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2019.107203.
- Ozkan Y.*, Barkana B.D. Multi-class Mental Task Classification Using Statistical Descriptors of EEG by KNN, SVM, Decision Trees, and Quadratic Discriminant Analysis Classifiers, 2020 IEEE 5th the Middle East and Africa Conference on Biomedical Engineering (MECBME).
- Yusuf Ozkan*, B.D. Barkana. How much time does our brain need to relax?, Archives in Neurology & Neuroscience, Opinion paper, 2020, DOI: 10.33552/ANN.2020.06.000636.
- Ozkan Y*, Barkana BD. Forensic Audio Analysis and Event Recognition for Smart Surveillance Systems, IEEE International Symposium on Technologies for Homeland Security, November 5-6, 2019, MA, USA.
- Rai A.*, Barkana BD. Analysis of three pitch-shifting algorithms for different musical instruments, IEEE LISAT Conference May 3, 2019.
- Arafat Abu Mallouh*, Zakariya Qawaqneh*, B.D. Barkana. Convolutional Neural Network Architectures for Age Estimation from Unconstrained Face Images, Image and Vision Computing, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imavis.2019.05.001, 2019.
- Arafat Abu Mallouh*, Zakariya Qawaqneh*, B.D. Barkana. A New Cost Function Combining DNNs and l2,1-norm with Extraction of Robust Facial and Superpixels Features in Age Estimation, Applied Sciences, 8(10), 1943; https://doi.org/10.3390/app8101943, 2018.
- Daneshzand M*, Faezipour M, Barkana BD. Delayed Feedback Frequency Adjustment for Deep Brain Stimulation of Subthalamic Nucleus Oscillations, Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2018 Jul;2018:2194-2197. Doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8512652.
- Aarchi Patel*, Buket D. Barkana. Analysis of American English corner vowels produced by Mandarin, Hindi, and American accented speakers and a baseline accent recognition system, IEEE LISAT Conference 2018, May 5, 2018.
- B.D. Barkana, Nijo John*. Inci Saricicek, Auditory Suspicious Event Analysis and Detection: DASE and bi-DASE Databases, IEEE Access, 2018, DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2848269
- Mohammad Daneshzand*, Miad Faezipour, B.D. Barkana. Robust desynchronization of pathological oscillations by frequency modulation of delayed feedback deep brain stimulation, PLOS ONE, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0207761, 2018
- Mohammad Daneshzand*, Miad Faezipour, B.D. Barkana. Towards frequency adaptation for delayed feedback deep brain stimulations, Neural Regeneration Research, vol.13, no.3, March 2018
- Z Qawaqneh*, A Mallouh*, B.D. Barkana. Age and gender classification from speech and face images by jointly fine-tuned deep neural networks, Expert Systems with Applications, vol.85, pp: 76-86, November 2017.
- B.D. Barkana, I. Saricicek. Classification of Breast Masses in Mammograms using 2D Homomorphic Transform Features and Supervised Classifiers. Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics, vol.7, no.7, pp.1566-1571, November 2017, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1166/jmihi.2017.2167.
- A. Mallouh*, Z. Qawaqneh*, B.D. Barkana. New Transformed Features Generated by Deep Bottleneck Extractor and a GMM-UBM Classifier for Speaker Age and Gender Classification. Neural Computing & Applications, 2017, DOI: 10.1007/s00521-017-2848-4.
- M. Daneshzand*, M. Faezipour, B.D. Barkana. Hyperbolic Modeling of Subthalamic Nucleus cells to investigate the effect of Dopamine Depletion, Computational Intelligence, and Neuroscience, Volume 2017 (2017), Article ID 5472752, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/5472752.
- M Daneshzand*, M Faezipour, B.D. Barkana. Computational stimulation of the basal ganglia neurons with cost-effective delayed Gaussian waveforms, Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience, August 08, 2017. https://doi.org/10.3389/fncom.2017.00073.
- A. Mallouh*, Z Qawaqneh*, B.D. Barkana. Deep Convolutional Neural Network for Age Estimation based on VGG-Face Model, arXiv:1709.01664 [cs.CV], 2017.
- B.D. Barkana, I. Sariciek, B. Yildirim*. Performance analysis of descriptive statistical features in retinal segmentation via fuzzy, ANN, SVM, and classifier fusion. Knowledge-Based Systems, Volume 118, February 15, 2017, Pages 165–176.
- Z. Qawaqneh*, A. Mallouh*, B.D. Barkana. Deep Neural Network Framework for Speaker′s Age and Gender Classification using I-Vector. Knowledge-Based Systems, Volume 115, 1 January 2017, Pages 5–14. 10.1016/j.knosys.2016.10.008.
- B.D. Barkana, J. Zhou*. A new pitch-range-based feature set for speaker’s age and gender classification. Applied Acoustics, Volume 98, Pages 52-61, November 2015.
- L. Hmurcik, B.D. Barkana, N. Gupta. Two Case Studies: Real-life fatal burn case including smoke inhalation and fatal high-voltage electrical burn. International Journal of Advanced Research, 3(11):318-321, 2015.
- O. Abuzaghleh*, B.D. Barkana, M. Faezipour. Noninvasive Real-Time Automated Skin Lesion Analysis System for Melanoma Early Detection and Prevention. IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine (JTEHM), 10.1109/JTEHM.2015.2419612, 2015.
- I. Hameed*, H. Ocbagabir*, B.D. Barkana, B. Yildirim*. Blood vessel segmentation in retinal images by morphological operations and by a novel pixel tracking algorithm. International Journal of Innovative Computing Information and Control (IJICIC), Vol.11 (1), pp.189-201, February 2015.
- O. Abuzaghleh*, M. Faezipour, B.D. Barkana. Skincure: An Innovative Smart Phone-Based Application to Assist In Melanoma Early Detection and Prevention. Signal and Image Processing: An International Journal (SIPIJ), Vol.5, No.6, December 2014.
Fields of interest:
- Data mining and feature extraction methods
- DNNs, CNNs, ANNs, SVMs, KNN, and Fuzzy logic frameworks
- Computer-aided diagnosis (CAD) systems
- Pattern recognition algorithms
SPEECH AND AUDIO SIGNAL PROCESSING APPLICATIONS
- Accent, age, and gender recognition using speech signals
- Speaker verification and identification systems
- Audio surveillance systems
- Non-speech environmental sound classification
IMAGE PROCESSING APPLICATIONS
- Computer vision
- Image segmentation algorithms for MRI, MRA, CT-scan, and ultrasound images
- Classification of benign and malignant breast lesions
- Blood vessel segmentation in retinal images
- Alzheimer’s disease (AD)
- Age and gender recognition from wild face images
BIOMEDICAL SIGNAL PROCESSING APPLICATIONS
- Analysis of Electroencephalogram (EEG) measurements during short-term memory retention
- Emotion recognition
TEACHING AND MENTORING
- Curriculum development (Fairchild Magnet Schools, School of Education, and School of Engineering)
- Mentoring new faculty and students
- Advising undergraduate and graduate students
- ABET accreditation
- K-12 STEM Outreach programs
Honors and Awards:
- Best Faculty Poster Award, 2017: Ioana A. Badara, Shobhitha Sarab, Abhilash Medisetty, Allen P. Cook, Joyce Cook, & Buket D. Barkana, “The Influence of Emotional States on Short-Term Memory Retention by Using Electroencephalography (EEG) Measurements: A Case Study”, University of Bridgeport, Faculty Research Day, March 24, 2017.
- Best Faculty Poster Award, 2016: Omar Abuzaghleh, Miad Faezipour, and Buket D. Barkana, SKINcure: An innovative Smart phone-based application to assist in melanoma early detection and prevention, Faculty Research Day, April 2016, University of Bridgeport, CT, USA.
- Best Paper Award, 2015: M.M. Almi’ani, B.D. Barkana, “A Modified Region Growing Based Algorithm to Vessel Segmentation in Magnetic Resonance Angiography,” the 11th IEEE Long Island Systems, Applications and Technology Conference (IEEE LISAT2015), May 1, 2015, NY, USA.
- Best Student Poster Award: Second Place, 2013: Isam Hameed, Helen Ocbagabir Sama Abdulmalik, B.D. Barkana, “Blood Vessel Segmentation in Retinal Images with a Novel Network Tracking Algorithm”, American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) Northeast Section Conference, David Crawford School of Engineering, Norwich University, March 14-16, 2013.
- Best Student Poster Award: Third Place, 2012: Tariq Abuzaghleh, B.D. Barkana, “A Computer-Aided Method for the Cobb Angle Measurement”, Poster Presentation, 2012 American Society of Engineering Education – Northeast Section Conference, University of Massachusetts, Lowell, April 28, 2012.
- Best Student Paper Honorable Mention Award, 2009: Stark B., Advisor: BD Barkana, “Dual Architecture Implementation of Acoustic Echo Cancellation”, Advisor: Barkana B.D., Proceedings of the 2009 ASEE NE American Society for Engineering Education Conference, April 3-4, 2009.
- Best Paper Nominee, 2009: B.D. Barkana, S. Patel, N. Gupta, and L. V. Hmurcik, “Using real-life cases to teach students about electric burns: Part 1 Secondary burns”, The Proceedings of the 2009 ASEE NE American Society for Engineering Education Conference, April 3-4, 2009.
- Best Student Paper Nominee, 2009: Zheng M., Xeing W., Barkana B.D., An automatic text-dependent speaker verification system design using MATLAB”, The Proceedings of the 2009 ASEE NE American Society for Engineering Education Conference, April 3-4, 2009.
- Best Student Paper Nominee, 2009: Yu L., Barkana B.D., “Speech Disorders: An analysis of hypernasal speech using signal processing techniques”, The Proceedings of the 2009 ASEE NE American Society for Engineering Education Conference, April 3-4, 2009.
- Best Student Paper Award, Second Place, 2008: Bachu R., Adapa B.K., Kopparthi S., Barkana B.D., “Separation of Voiced and Unvoiced Speech Signals using Energy and Zero Crossing Rate”, ASEE Regional Conference, West Point, March 2008.
- Honorable Mention Award, 2008: Bachu R., Deepawale D.S, “Emotional Speech Detection”, Advisor: Barkana B.D., ASEE Regional Conference, West Point, Poster Presentation, March 2008.
- Best Student Poster Honorable Mention Award, 2009: Hirani N., Suhagiya V., “Speaker Identification System”, Advisor: Barkana B.D., ASEE NE Conference, Bridgeport, Poster Presentation, April 3-4, 2009.
- “Investigation of the influence of emotional states on memory retention, concentration, and learning by using Electroencephalograpgy (EEG) measurements”, PI: B. D. Barkana, Co-PIs: Joanna Badara, Allen Cook, Funding agency: University of Bridgeport Seed Grant, 2016. Amount: $6400.
- “Planning for a Teacher Fellowship/Master Teacher Fellowship Program to serve high-Need Schools in Urban Southwestern Connecticut”. PI: I. Badara, Co-PIs: B. D. Barkana, N. Gupta, N. Ngoh, M. Gherasimova, Funding Agency: National Science Foundation (NSF), Robert Noyce Teacher Preparation Program, 2013. Amount: $192,347.
- “SkinAid: A Real time image analysis system to aid in the malignant melanoma prevention and early detection”, PI: B. D. Barkana, Co-PI: Miad Faezipour, Funding agency: University of Bridgeport Seed Grant, 2013. Amount: $6000.
- “K-12 STEM Teacher Program”, PI: B. D. Barkana; Co-PIs: Nelson Ngoh, Allen Cook, and Joanna A. Badara. Funding Agency: University of Bridgeport Seed Grant, 2012. Amount: $5,900.